Yes, have you ever grown flowers in your tiny garden? most of them are unaware of consuming petals of flowers with unknown research and simply pluck flowers to decorate and use them in perfume making because of their rich aromatic smell.
As per scientific research, there are wide varieties of edible flowers that can also be used for garnishing desserts and one can add raw petals for dishes to gain its nutritional benifits.
The vibrant colors of flowers have more plant-based phytochemicals which are natural substances in plants sometimes, are nutritive. Researchers had identified several nutrients in the petals of flowers including vitamins A and C, riboflavin, niacin, and minerals such as calcium, phosphorous, iron, and potassium.
Some darkly pigmented flowers indicate more anti-oxidant properties If you’re intrigued by flowering up your food, make sure to only purchase flowers marked as edible.
The scientific name for people who eat flowers for food is Floriphagia . Here are some of the pretty edible flower offerings.
1. Hibiscus:- Hibiscus has more citrus flavors. Dried hibiscus petals can be used to make herbal tea. Hibiscus tea which tastes sweet and tart has known to lower your blood pressure, liver diseases, cholesterol, and also promotes weight loss. This has more potential benefits than a cocktail.
2. Lavender: -A lavender petals can add hints of sweet and savory to many dishes. Lavender can provide you with vitamin A which is important to eye health and keeping our skin healthy. It also contains calcium and iron which are important nutrients our bodies require. Consuming lavender tea can help from digestive problems like nausea, bloating, constipation, vomiting, etc. It also helps osteoporotic patients and also reduces PMS symptoms in women. Lavender essential oil is beneficial for youth glowing skin and has natural relaxing properties ( soothes anxiety and depression).
3. Chamomile:- This small pretty white flower has been used for centuries in Korea as a natural remedy. These dried petals are steeped to make a tea that is loaded with antioxidants and calming properties. Upon consuming this may be able to lower risks of heart disease and cancer while aiding in digestion and sleep.
4. Dandelion:- These little golden flowers can help to fight inflammation and stimulates the activity of the stomach and digestive glands, thus promoting the digestion of food. This flower has potential anti-aging properties and also promotes good liver health. These little bittersweet can be eaten fried or with salad dressing.
5. Rose’s:- Have you ever heard about sweet rose milk? As Rose’s are a symbol of relationships, to make it more beautiful having rose milk or rose tea in a day can help you to treat headaches, sore throat, depression, acid reflux, reduces blood sugar, and also have many medical properties like analgesic, a bronchodilator, anticonvulsive, & antimicrobial effect. It works as a wonderful skin lightening agent along with enhancing the skin texture.
6. Sunflower:- The seeds of sunflower and petals contain essential Nutritional benefits. As it mostly provides vitamin E, fiber, and smaller amounts of iron, zinc, and potassium. These seeds contain an enormous amount of B complex vitamins, which keep out heart-healthy, has anti-oxidants properties, and also assist nerves. Sunflower oil can protect from cancer and bad cholesterol. Most Indians love to prefer sunflower oil for a healthy diet.
7. Marigold:- The bright orange to yellowish colored flower, which is best known for medicinal properties. These flowers have many beneficial effects on the skin which acts as anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-oxidant effects. It also inhibits the immune system irritants which cause cough and cold.
The extract from these flowers is a wonderful treatment for eye diseases like conjunctivitis ( upon consultation of doctor). It also can be used as ointment made of petals paste to be applied to the genital or groin area to get rid of itching and fungal infections. Dried Marigold tea is an effective treatment for glowing skin.
*Not all flowers are “edible ” ( Do not ingest flowers without the knowledge about the pros and cons of a flower ) it can cause allergic reactions and severe respiratory distress ) .*